Meijburg & Co’s Australia Desk provides, in close collaboration with KPMG Australia, tax advice to companies and individuals with cross-border interests, investments or activities. The professionals on this Country Desk have specific knowledge of and experience with this ‘frontier’, and are thus uniquely placed to efficiently and expertly assist you with tax matters.
The core activities of the Country Desk mainly consist of providing advice on:
- starting and structuring business activities in or from Australia
- cross-border mergers, acquisitions, reorganizations and restructuring
- cross-border financing
- real estate investment in or from Australia
- types of legal forms (including joint ventures and partnerships)
- intercompany services and the supply of goods (transfer pricing)
- setting up a European head office or service center in the Netherlands
- the amendment of legislation and case law in Australia and the implications of this for Dutch investors
- secondment of staff to and from Australia
- cross-border option and pension plans
- emigration from and immigration to Australia
- the provision and exchange of information between both countries
The provision of advice also covers the application of the Netherlands-Australia tax treaties, Dutch and Australian corporate income tax, VAT, customs, payroll tax and personal income tax, social security, withholding taxes, inheritance tax and local Australian taxes.
The close collaboration between the professionals of Meijburg & Co and KPMG Australia ensures that we both ‘speak the same language’, that the knowledge and expertise of both organizations is used to its best advantage and that this contributes to the right choices being made in applying regulations of both countries. If necessary, we can also coordinate the provision of advice on non-tax fields, such as legal and administrative services.
The current chair of the Country Desk, Jeroen Leek, worked for a number of years in Australia and regularly travels to Australia to visit clients. As well as following tax developments in the Netherlands, he also keeps a close eye on developments in Australia. This means we are ideally placed to advise you on cross-border activities.