Latin America is a challenging region, not only from an economic but also from a tax perspective. The tax systems of the various countries are characterized by a multitude of taxes and high rates. Internationally, Latin American countries have concluded relatively few tax treaties and most are not members of the OECD. All this combined makes for a complex tax playing field.
Meijburg & Co’s Latin America Desk advises businesses and individuals about the implications of their cross-border investments or activities in Latin America. The professionals on this Country Desk have specific knowledge of and experience with this ‘frontier’. They also collaborate closely with KPMG in Latin America.
The core activities of the Latin America Desk mainly consist of providing advice on:
- starting and structuring business activities in or from Latin America
- cross-border mergers, acquisitions, reorganizations and restructuring
- real estate investment in or from Latin America
- intercompany services and the supply of goods (transfer pricing)
- setting up a European head office or service center in the Netherlands
- secondment of staff to and from Latin America
- cross-border option and pension plans
- emigration from and immigration to Latin America
- the provision and exchange of information between Latin American countries and the Netherlands
The provision of advice covers all types of taxes (corporate income tax, VAT, customs, payroll tax and personal income tax, social security, withholding taxes, inheritance tax and the local taxes of the Latin American countries). The close collaboration between the professionals of Meijburg & Co and KPMG in Latin America ensures that the knowledge and expertise of both organizations is used to its best advantage and this contributes to the right choices being made in applying regulations of the Netherlands and the Latin American countries. If necessary, tax advice can be coordinated to take account of non-tax fields, such as legal and administrative services.
The country desk also uses its network to maintain close relations with experts in the region, the embassy in the Netherlands and various professional organizations in and outside of the Netherlands.