Meijburg & Co’s Japan Desk works closely with the tax professionals of KPMG Japan to provide tax advice to businesses and private individuals engaged in cross-border shareholdings, investments, or an active trade or business. The professionals staffing this country desk are experienced in serving Japanese companies, and can offer you efficient, professional advice on all tax-related issues.
The country desk’s principal advisory activities focus on issues such as:
- starting up and structuring entrepreneurial activities in or from Japan
- cross-border acquisitions, mergers, reorganizations, and restructurings
- cross-border financing
- investing in real estate in or from Japan
- the choice of legal forms (including partnerships and joint ventures)
- intercompany services and the supply of goods (transfer pricing)
- setting up a European head office or service center in the Netherlands
- developments in Japanese statutory and case law that affect Dutch investors
- seconding staff to or from Japan
- cross-border stock option and pension plans
- emigration to, or immigration from, Japan
- exchange of information between the Dutch Revenue and the Japanese Ministry of Finance
We can also advise you on such topics as Dutch and Japanese corporate income tax, VAT, customs and excise tax, payroll tax, personal income tax, social security, withholding taxes, inheritance tax, and local taxes in Japan. The close cooperation between our professionals and those of KPMG Japan guarantees optimal use of the knowledge and expertise of these two firms, and well-coordinated advice regarding Dutch and Japanese legislation. If you wish, we can coordinate consultancy services relating to non-tax-related issues, such as legal and accounting services.
Through its network, Meijburg & Co maintains close ties with experts in the region, the Japanese embassy in the Netherlands, and a number of professional organizations inside and outside the Netherlands. The current chairman of the country desk, Cees van der Helm, worked in Japan for several years.