Shipping and Offshore is a multifaceted sector. In the field of taxation, this market is characterised by a range of regulations. The most well-known of these are the tonnage tax regimes and the specific (tax) rules in relation to seafarers. There are also specific rules, for example, those concerning offshore work. As an entrepreneur in this sector, you can easily get caught up in the web of complex regulations. Meijburg & Co’s Shipping & Offshore team is therefore glad to provide you with some sound tax advice.
The companies we assist
Our specialised team is focussed on the shipping and offshore sectors, as well as the maritime sector more broadly. We advise all kinds of companies in this sector, from small businesses to large, internationally-operating, listed companies. Please see some examples below:
- Shipping companies
- Investors in maritime assets
- Ship managers
- Dredging companies
- Oil and gas exploration companies
- Offshore construction companies (cable- and pipe laying, rock placement, lifting etc.)
- Offshore support companies
- Offshore wind
- Other maritime businesses
How we advise and support you
Our professionals gladly advise you on the rules which apply to the shipping and offshore sector. The regulations in this field often result in complicated issues. The main activities with which we can assist you include the following:
- Assistance with meeting your tax obligations, compliance and transfer pricing documentation
- The application of tax-efficient regulations, such as the tonnage tax regime
- Tax advice on ship ownership and operation
- Tax guidance and advice on offshore construction work
- Tax advice on offshore employees
- Tax advice on withholding taxes on charters
- The application of the various specific VAT arrangements in the shipping and offshore sector
- Tax advice and guidance on international shipping companies
Specialists the world over
Being part of KPMG’s international network, Meijburg & Co’s Shipping & Offshore team’s knowledge and experience is not limited to these shores alone. Our specialists are located at strategic locations across the globe. These include Houston, Nigeria, Brazil, Mexico, Norway, Singapore and Hamburg. Our global lines of communication are short, so we adapt quickly to circumstances. As a result, you are assured of expert tax advice on any shipping and offshore issues you may have.
In addition to our international network, our other contacts and clients work to your advantage as well. We maintain close relations with the relevant sector associations. Aside from our own KPMG network, we also consult regularly with these sector associations, as well as the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration.
Need tax advice for the Shipping and Offshore sector?
Do you operate sea-going ships, and do you ask yourself how you might best apply the tonnage regime? Or do you have offshore employees, and do you want to know which tax rules apply to them? With Meijburg & Co’s specialist knowledge and vast experience, you are assured of the very best in tax advice. In particular, we are leaders in the field when it comes to the tonnage tax scheme. But you can also approach us with any other shipping and offshore issues you may have. Please feel free to contact one of our professionals Ernst-Jan Bioch or Harrie van Duin for more information.